Platte County Landmark  
The Platte County Landmark

Covering Platte County, Missouri Weekly Since 1865

Local News

Between the Lines
by Ivan Foley

Off the Couch
by Greg Hall

Off the Wall
by CK Rairden

Classifieds

Advertising

Community Calendar

Subscriptions

TalkBack


Weekly publication dates are Thursdays

***Sign up for ***
The Landmark's E*Newsletter

Subscribe
Unsubscribe

Featured Advertisers
 
     

Voters soundly reject statewide propositions

by Danielle Hillix
Landmark editor

With few contested races on the ballot, voter turnout was low in Platte County for Tuesday's primary election. Only about 19% of registered Platte County voters weighed in on the primary races, along with two hot-button issues.

Voters were in the mood to say no on Tuesday, rejecting two statewide propositions along with a bond issue.

Proposition A, a statewide question that would have taxed cell phones for enhanced 911 service, was defeated in Platte County 6,525 to 3,523, or 65 percent to 35 percent. Voters statewide also shot down the tax of up to 50 cents per cell phone line by a fairly large margin, 66 percent to 34 percent.

Another statewide question - Proposition B - was also soundly defeated throughout the state. In Platte County, voters rejected the proposal to raise sales and fuel taxes by a 6,846 to 3,249 margin, or 68 percent to 32 percent. Statewide the proposition received even less support, with about 75 percent voting against the tax hike and only about 25 percent voting in favor.

"In the Senate, we have long held that Missouri citizens deserve better accountability and less diversion of funds for highways in our state. This election proves that not only do the citizens deserve greater accountability and less diversion, they demand it," said Senate President Pro Tem Peter Kinder after viewing Proposition B results.

Platte County voters also didn't like a City of Kansas City Bond Issue, that would have gone toward infrastructure improvements of downtown Kansas City and surrounding neighborhoods. In Platte County, the bond issue was rejected 2292 to 1902, 55 percent to 45 percent. The issue needed a 57 percent approval rating to pass. It failed citywide.

A Public Water Supply District No. 4 bond issue did get the support of voters, 72 percent to 28 percent.

Also receiving approval was the City of Weatherby Lake Water question by a 76 percent to 24 percent margin.

There were no surprises in the contested candidate races.

Jean Carnahan received 88 percent of the Platte County vote to get the nod as the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate seat she currently holds.

Her opponent in the November election will be Jim Talent - who won the Republican primary Tuesday. Talent received 90 percent of the Platte County vote to defeat Joseph May, Martin Lindstedt, Scott Craig Babbitt, and Doris Landfather.

In another lopsided race, Charlie Shields soundly defeated Jim Pitts to win the Republican bid for State Senate, District 34 representative. In Platte County, Shields received 73 percent of the vote, Pitts 27 percent.

Al Hanson defeated Jay L. Kanzler, Jr. for the chance to run for state auditor on the Republican ticket. Hanson gathered 58 percent of the Platte County vote, leaving Kanzler, Jr. with 42 percent. Hanson's margin of victory statewide was even larger.