heading
 


Covering Platte County, Missouri Weekly Since 1865
Legal Notices
Platte
County Foreclosures
Local News
Archives
Between the Lines
by Ivan Foley
The Rambling Moron
by Chris Kamler
The Right Stuff
by James Thomas
Straight from Stigall
by Chris Stigall
Parallax Look
by Brian Kubicki
KC Confidential
by Hearne Christopher
Off the Couch
by Greg Hall
Pleasantly Eccentric
by Aimee Patton
Pig Skin Picks
Letters to the Editor
"Send Your Letter"
Classifieds
Advertising
Subscriptions
 
Weekly publication dates are Wednesdays
 
52 Main Street0
P
P.O. Box 410
Platte City, Missouri 64079
816-858-0363

Fax :816-858-2313
 
TO CONTACT US
by email
Click Here!
or
by phone
816.858.0363
 
 
 

 


5-14-14


History and Photos

 

Mayor Frank Offutt (left) this week declared May 14, 2014 as Landmark Day in Platte City, noting the start of the newspaper’s 150th year of publication. The mayor presented his official proclamation to Ivan Foley, Landmark publisher, outside the newspaper office at 252 Main Street. The Landmark has operated from its current location since 1899.

The above photo of The Landmark interior is believed to have been taken around 1900. The man on the left is Max Jones. We cannot identify the lady in the picture. On the right is W.T. Jenkins, Landmark publisher at the time. The press shown in the back, and some of the handset type cabinets shown, are still in The Landmark office today.


Max Jones is shown in the 1890’s serving a printer’s apprenticeship in The Landmark.


The Landmark office in 1965 in the same building. Seated, from left: Cindy Cockrill, Dorothy Jones, who worked part time, and Mrs. Lucile L. Jones. Standing are Mary Hymer, Linotype operator, and Roland Giffee, business manager, who is feeding a job press.

On Nov. 2, 1979, Lucile L. Jones and Dwayne Foley hold the ‘ribbon’ while Platte City Mayor Truman Glenn cuts it apart at an open house in The Landmark office. The ‘ribbon’ was actually the last issue of The Landmark published by Mrs. Jones and the first issue published by Dwayne Foley.


At an open iouse inside The Landmark on Nov. 2, 1979, Roland Giffee (far left) holds a “gold dust pan” while Dorothy Clifton and Judge Lee Hull look on. Hull made the gift presentation to Giffee. The pan included decorations of the printing trade, such as old type, a make-up rule, and Linotype space band.



A bit of humor at every occasion. Missouri Supreme Court Judge Andrew (Jack) Higgins visits with former Landmark publisher Lucy Jones and Jim Stephens, Missouri Public Service senior vice president, Raytown. Farley banker Wallace Farley is in the background.


Wells Hull, Platte City banker, signed the guest registry during The Landmark open house held Nov. 2, 1979. The open house celebrated the sale of the paper by Lucy Jones to Dwayne Foley. Laverne Taulbee, who handled registration, is at left.



The exterior of The Landmark as it appeared in this photo believed to have been taken around 1930. The Landmark has operated from this location since 1899. The exterior was restored in 2008.



The Landmark building in horse and buggy days. The yellow arrow points to the perpendicular "The Landmark" sign. That same sign is now mounted flat on the brick front of the building.

RETURN TO LANDMARK 150th ANNIVERSARY