by Alan McArthur
A house fire along Roller Court in Tracy has displaced a well-known Platte County resident.
The fire on Tuesday around 2 p.m. burned through the home of Woody Grutzmacher. According to Larry Bigus, Central Platte Fire District chief, the preliminary report indicates the fire started from a space heater that was left on.
By the time fire officials arrived on the scene to begin fighting the fire, there were already flames leaping from holes burned through the roof. Bigus said the damage done to the home by water and smoke was extensive and the house is nearly a total loss.
Grutzmacher's two dogs and two cats were rescued from the home by firefighters. There were no injuries reported from the fire.
Central Platte Fire sent 15 firefighters to the scene in Tracy and West Platte Fire District sent two firefighters to assist.
The home was built in 1978, according to the county's GIS website.
Grutzmacher, affectionately known throughout the Platte City community as “Woody,” is a member of the University of Missouri Extension Council and is also a stockholder with the Platte County Fair. He also has been an active supporter of youth sports.
On Wednesday, a special account was set up at Platte Valley Bank to accept monetary donations to help Grutzmacher. For more information or to donate, call or visit Platte Valley Bank at 816-858-5400.